Sample jambalaya recipe
- 3 to 4 pounds chicken pieces
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain rice, uncooked
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 3 cups water
- 8 ounces shrimp, canned and drained small shrimp or coarsely chopped fresh or frozen cooked medium shrimp
Preparation: Brown chicken pieces in hot vegetable oil over medium heat. Remove chicken from oil. Drain off all but 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil. Cook bell pepper, onion, garlic, and rice over low heat, stirring often, until tender. Add seasonings, water, and chicken. Bring mixture to a boil; cover and cook over low heat for 25 minutes, until rice is tender. Remove cover and fluff rice. Stir in shrimp and cook for about 5 minutes longer, until heated through.
Jambalaya recipe serves 6.